Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Reflection #7

What? A blog entry called, Overload? that talks about how some school districts are overloading parents with too many online resources from grades to twitter to facebook pages.

So What? The blog states that the number of parents visiting these sites is going down the more of them are introduced. Parents are getting overloaded with everything that is out there that schools take advantage of. The author is not slamming these resources, but is drawing attention to the fact that educators need to choose one of them and stick with it. Because there is so much available these days, I think we get excited about the possibilities there are and just go hog wild when in reality, less is more!

What Now? Just because there are all these wonderful, free resources out there for educators doesn't mean that all the time and energy we put into them will be appreciated. Are the resources we are using really necessary? Can we get the information to people in a better way? What about the digital divide? I like using the latest and greatest things out there as much as the next person, but really, are parents really going to be on the school district twitter thread and constanly checking facbook for the latest news on whatever? I think not. So I think this blog makes a good point that there is an awful lot thrown at parents who probably don't really have the time or interest in the things school districts think they will.

3 comments:

  1. This was a really great blog entry Bethany. Thats a great thing to think about. Its true, we get so excited about technologies, but the point of it loses it's purpose when it is used in overload. I guess that is great news for the teacher too because it is fewer sites that we have to update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I do think that parents are on overload! I would be on overload! It is good advice to pick one resource as a teacher and to use it effectively and well :). I hope as a teacher that I can at least master on thing :). Thanks for your honest reflection because it is true that as new technology is available we all tend to go a little crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it is a good idea to integrate technology, but at some point I think it can become too much. I wonder if parents ever think that these types of teachers are spending too much time playing with technology and not enough time actually teaching content. hmmm...something to think about I guess.

    ReplyDelete