Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Reflection #5

What?
I observed a math class yesterday that used a document camera pretty much the whole time. The teacher was doing a math lesson correcting homework from the day before, then presented a new lesson. I have observed this particular class before during a language arts lesson and the teacher used the camera for that whole class period as well.

So What?
I have always had the highest opinions about document cameras and their effectiveness and hope to have one someday in my classroom. The only thing about this particular class was that the teacher never came out from behind it. It was front and center in the room and the teacher could see and be seen by all her students, but that personal touch just wasn't there. The table the camera was on was a constant barrier between her and the students.

What Now?
I am by no means judging this teacher as she was very good, but I would just need to keep in mind in my own classroom to come out from behind the curtain, so to speak. Teachers who keep a barrier between themselves and the students can sometimes not have that level of approachability they need or the effect that proximity can have on student behavior.

2 comments:

  1. That's very interesting Bethany! The whole time? I too agree that a document camera is helpful, but should only be used periodically. By staying at the camera, students might get the impression the teacher is unapproachable-which is definately not what a teacher wants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point and observation. Sounds like what Mrs. Garrett said to us the other day in Instructional Design! It sprouts curiosity in me, though, how would one use the document camera so effectively but still create a personal, comfortable atmosphere? In what ways could the teacher have changed "barrier"? I definitely agree that she shouldn't have trapped herself behind the camera the whole time - students need more personality - but how could she adjust? I will consider this, probably never think of an answer (at least not consciously), and move on with my life.

    Thanks for the insightful reflection.

    ReplyDelete